RSS Feed

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Running... it's back.


I rediscovered a long lost love last night. Well, if you consider 4-5 months long lost.

It was my love of running. That probably sounds funny, as I still have been running everyday, so to an outsider it would seem as if I have loved it all along. This is not the case--winter running is hard.

Running on a treadmill inside is not ideal, and turns running into a boring monotony to say the least. It took everything I had to push myself each day to do it.
Then, after running inside all winter, and finally having a few days where it’s warm enough to go outside, it’s still hard. You aren’t used to being outside, and it takes more energy than running on a treadmill does. So in my head I was a little worried that it would continue to be an endless struggle each day.
Yesterday it changed. The weather was beautiful.

After work I went running on the Draper parkway trail. The sun was setting, the temperature was perfect, and there, running a long a 9 mile route, it came back. I was smiling, running harder and faster, and thinking to myself, this is so great.
I loved everything about that moment.

I felt alive again, and couldn’t help the smile and natural high I felt for the rest of the night.

It’s back… my long lost love is back.

Welcome home...

3 comments:

brittani c. said...

Yo, Adrienne! You have a blog...what the heck! I'm kinda mad at you that you never told me and my StatCounter (i.e. how I look up my stalkers) led me to you. I'm so glad I can have a visual update on your life, since FB has lost its luster for me.
Congrats on reuniting with your runnin' love. I'm so glad for warmer weather too...I'm sick of hibernating inside. xoxo, Snowball

Whitney said...

You can imagine my surprise when I was reading Holly's blog and there was a link to your blog. I thought I knew you better than this. I didn't even know you had a blog... and to think I could have been looking at it time I finished looking at the blog of the "girl across the hall" (you know the one).

Beccarigg said...

Woohoo! Adge has a blog! I'm totally putting you on my blog roll! YEAH!

LOVE this post!! It's so true, running in the winter is sooo hard! Because like you said, you're not really running, your treadmilling, and how fun is that? All the reasons I fell in love with running can be found in running outdoors! Glad you're back in love : ) Man, I wish we were running together. Sounds like we were doing similar training runs for awhile there! What race are you training for right now? Ragnar? Are you doing a marathon this year? If you do you HAVE to keep us posted on your training!

Post a Comment