RSS Feed

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lasik dun dun dun...

In January, Dane and I decided to get our eyes lasored, or you could just say we got Lasik. We decided it would be less scary to go in together and get it done at the same time, plus, they gave us the ‘couples’ discount. Okay, not really it wasn’t a couples discount, but they did give us a discount.
The whole experience was interesting, the following pictures will illustrate it a little for you. Pretty much, the process takes about 45 mintutes. We had to wear glasses for a week straight preceding the surgery, and that was probably the hardest part for me. I hate glasses. We went in early in the morning, they gave me a valium (to relax me) then a fresh homemade chocolate chip cookie (to make me happy, and it did.)
You go under the first laser, and it ‘makes the flap’ that covers your eye. Initially they press down on your eye, and it feels really weird, plus your eyes go dark for about 2 minutes, and it was hard for me not to freak out a little. After that, they use another machine to re-shape the cornea, or whatever. Obviously I’m not giving you the technical lingo.
In-between the two lasers, they had us sit in the most amazing massage chairs I’ve ever experienced. Yes, I did ask them where I could purchase one of them, and yes, they did have a brochure to give me. (can you say cross-promotion?)
Once the two lasers are done, they pretty much douse about a gallon of eye-drops in your eyes, and have you stand up, and you are on your way. It’s pretty blurry at first, plus, I was feeling a little loopy from the valium. Loopy/Fantastic.
These are the dark glasses we had to sport for that whole first day. We even wore them while watching movies. When we took this picture, our only dream was to go to bed, we were so out of it from the valium, but we withstood a few more seconds in order to get this documented for posterity. Don’t we look great?
These are the goggles we had to tape onto ourselves for a full week before going to bed each night. They were a precaution to keep us from poking our eyes while sleeping. The tape was really strong, it hurt each morning as I yanked it off my face. Seriously, I think I could probably wax my legs with it. It was that adhesive.




I would post the picture we had taken in front of the Hoopes Sign after our next day follow up check-up, but I look pretty bad in it so I won't. (Not that the above pictures are glamor shots or anything, but this one was even worse.) When Dane initially asked the Hoopes worker to take our picture, she thought he wanted a picture of him and her. It was pretty funny/awkward when he told her no, I just want you to take our picture... sorry.
That pretty much sums it up... my eyes are still a little dry. The doctors have told me I have dry eyes so many times, i'm starting to get a complex about it. It's not a put down is it?
I love my new eyes, and it's pretty great to wake up in the morning, and not have to put in contacts.

1 comments:

brittani c. said...

p.s. I can't WAIT for the day to get Lasik. I'm jealous that you get to live life contacts-free. One day...

Post a Comment