
I’m a huge Anne of Green Gables fan. Kind of funny considering I’m not your typical girly-girl, who usually likes those types of movies. I’ve never read Jane Eyre, I haven’t seen the 7 hour version of Pride and Prejudice, and growing up, I never dressed up and threw ‘tea parties’ for my stuffed animals.
I got hooked on Anne when I was little, and borrowed the VHS (yes, VHS) tapes from my grand-parents just about once a month to watch them. Recently as a gift, I was given all of them (Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea and Anne the continuing story) on DVD, best gift ever.
I sat down to watch them, and was immediately sucked in. It was so comforting, almost like a breath of fresh air. Oh how I had missed Anne and her gang--Anne with her flowerly superfluous language, Marilla, gruff yet loving, Matthew in all his kind-hearted shyness, and dear sweet Gil plucky and as handsome as he always was.
Through-out the 6 hours of blissful enjoyment on my part --yes it was about 6 hours worth of DVD’s, and no I didn’t watch them all in one sitting. I watched over the course of about a week and a half, and I still haven’t watched Anne the Continuing Story—Anyway, while watching, I took the time to write down a few of my favorite lines. (There were about 15) Luckily I’m only giving you 5 of them below. :) Here they are:
‘Oh Anne, does life never frighten you with its bleakness?...’ –Katherine Brook
Let’s be honest, life can be bleak sometimes, but the way Katherine say’s it, makes you really feel her pain. I particularly like to throw this line out in conversation with siblings or friends, when they have had a bad day. (obviously I insert their name in the line instead of saying ‘Anne.’)
‘I’d like a man who could be wicked, but woudn’t…’ –Anne
This is the exactly the man I’m looking for. I want a guy that has that glint in his eye, a little bit of edge, but chooses to be good instead. Is that possible? I blame my single-hood on Anne. She has me looking for something that might not exist.
‘Wrap your arms around me Marilla, the tears don’t hurt, but the ache does…’—Anne
I happened to watch this part of the series when I had had a bad day. It just struck home. Let’s be honest, when you are crying it’s not the tears that hurt. It’s that empty ache that the tears bring with them, and leave behind after they are gone.
‘I hope he breaks your heart. Whoever he is, I hope he breaks your heart. Maybe then you will come to your senses.’—Gilbert Blythe
This one stings a little, or a lot. Anne just turned down Gil’s wedding proposal—she claimed she would never get married. You have to feel for Gil at this point though because he has stuck around forever, hoping that she would someday love him. Maybe I like it so much because there have been times in my life when I would love to say this to a guy I’ve dated, that’s moved on to someone else… ‘I hope she breaks your heart, whoever she is, I hope she breaks your heart...’
‘I don’t need sunbursts or marble halls Gil, I just need you…’ --Anne
This line is actually really cheesy, but I put it in here because it’s at the very end of the movie when Anne and Gil FINALLY get together. It’s about time. Anne finally realizes what everyone has known all along. She loves Gilbert.
Anyway, there you go. There’s my Anne of Green Gables epistle. Probably not that enjoyable for anyone that’s not a fan of the movie, but oh well. It’s my Blog, sheesh. :)
3 comments:
"I really like the bit about the cake." Looove it and agree about all of the lines.You know I love Anne too. I haven't watched her in much too long, but Kelly still rolls his eyes when I act out the deathbed scene.
"There will never BE anyone for me, but you."
By the way, the continuing story....I always longed for them to do another Anne movie, but when I saw that one, I wished they had never done one. Totally unAnne-like and nothing from any of the books, I don't think.
And yes, it's your blog. You can talk about Anne if you want to. Kindred Spirits. Kindred Spirits.
Anne with an 'e'...ahh, love that girl. I haven't seen the movies nor read the books in awhile. I think I'm going to have to put that on my books to read when I have some free time this summer. I love the quotes you picked up.
I like this post a lot:)I've never been an Annie fan. But I want to now. This has been a literary snack while having an actual snack on my break:)
Post a Comment