RSS Feed

Thursday, February 23, 2012

‘I Choose Us’



I was in the cardio cinema the other day at Gold's Gym. The Family Man with Nicholas Cage was playing. This is a movie I have seen many times and even though i'm not a Cage fan, I think the movie is great and has a really good storyline and message.

In one of the final scenes the two main characters, Jack and Kate (Tea' Leoni and Nicholas Cage are having a discussion. I won't go into all the details, but at the end Kate just tell's Jack, 'I choose us... i'm willing to move our kids to the city, uproot them from a home we became a family in, and do whatever it is you need to do, because I love you and I choose us Jack.'
Let's be honest, i'm a single person. I've never been married, so i'm not going to wax philosophical about being married, or pretend to know how hard it is to make a marriage work. I will say this though, I love this line. For some reason even though i have seen the show many times, it really struck me hard as I was running on the treadmill in that darkened cinema, and really made me think. What a great sentiment--'I choose us.'
-
I think that is what needs to happen. In a marriage all other selfishness needs to fall to the wayside. You need to care about your spouse enough to 'choose us' fight for what it is you fell in love with in the first place. Don't choose yourself, choose them.
That's it... hope all you married people out there 'choose us.'

0 comments:

Post a Comment